[GNC] Is there a way to handle same-named GnuCash files sensibly?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu May 5 04:09:17 EDT 2022

On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 07:18:32PM -0400, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> > Yes, I noticed too that there a files with a number added to the base
> > name, e.g.:-
> >
> >      building.gnucash.gcm
> >      building.gnucash_2.gcm
> >
> > ... but I'm not sure that it's a perfect system.
> >
> > I have reverted to having the year as part of the file name and a
> > wrapper script that finds the data file corresponding to the year
> > directory I'm in.
> >
> UH ... just because you as a human consider abcd and abcd_3 to be the same
> name misses the point that they ARE different file names as far as the
> computer is concerned, as different as you consider Fred and Freda different
> names

Yes, I do realise that, I was just pointing out what GnuCash appears
to do if you have two different data files (in different directories)
with the same name.  I've never had a data file called
building.gnucash_2.gnucash so (I assume) GnuCash has created that file
when it found there was already a building.gnucash.gcm file for
*another* data file.

> However, including the year in the name when in fact these are :the same
> file except for a different year is an EXCELLENT way to go

Yes, except that it does make for rather long filenames.  I'd really
be happiest if my GnuCash 'building' bank account data file was simply
called 'building'.  It's in a directory called ~/pcc/2022 which tells
me that it's Parochial Parish Council data for 2022.

--
Chris Green