[GNC] gnucash.org ] Account for Seller Credit when purchasing a home

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat May 7 16:49:31 EDT 2022

On 5/7/2022 2:17 PM, Gyle McCollam wrote:
> I agree with David, but only if it was specifically negotiated as a repair, otherwise, yes you should record the asset (home) at the $95,000 price.

Consult your tax advisor.

Note that it will likely make a difference what sort of "repairs" as
SOME can be added to the basis. You ordinarily want the basis as high as
possible as this reduces the capital gain when/if sold.

Michael D Novack

PS -- this isn't a gnucash question, and I will add that I lack the
qualifications to give accounting/tax advice. Besides, you didn't
specify the jurisdiction which is likely to have rules, what you should
do, what you are allowed to do, etc,