[GNC] Investment accounts - maintain ongoing balance only

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun May 8 13:29:21 EDT 2022

If you just want to keep the value balance, then you can just use a
regular asset account and every month (or quarter, or however often) enter
a "balance update" transaction for whatever gains/losses you achieved that
month/quarter/etc.  Note that this will combine realized and unrealized
gains, so you won't necessarily be able to use that change in value for
tax purposes.  but it'll get you what you want.

-derek

On Sun, May 8, 2022 1:17 pm, Scott Soderling wrote:
> I use GnuCash for all my personal finances. I have a number of
> "retirement"
> investment accounts. I receive monthly multi-page statements for each
> account from the bank, showing every transaction (buys/sells, interest,
> dividends, capital gains, etc). Now that I'm a senior, I have to withdraw
> monthly amounts from these accounts, which are transferred to a checking
> account.
>
> I really have no interest in tracking all that data in GnuCash. I can see
> it all in the statements and/or through my online banking. What I am
> interested in doing.....  create GnuCash accounts for each investment
> account, so that I can enter transfer transactions each month to my
> checking account. All I need to do in addition to that is update the
> current value of the investment accounts, say as of the last day of each
> month.
>
> Opening the investment accounts and giving them opening balances is easy.
> I'm now looking for suggestions going forward regarding updating the
> current value of each account monthly. That is, I don't want to set up sub
> accounts for every stock, mutual fund, etc and then have to track
> share/unit prices, just to come up with an account balance. I just want to
> enter one "adjustment" type transaction for each investment account, once
> month, to make it balance to my monthly bank statements.
>
> Appreciate all ideas... thanks!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745