[GNC] Large GnuCash file very slow to write to

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon May 9 12:11:17 EDT 2022

'Saves' with SQLite are supposed to be instant. That is, all commits on
changes happen right away, not on a schedule or only on exit. (same with
the other two db backends, and those are more difficult to
manage/administer)

If you've removed Piecash temporarily from the workflow, and it still
takes that long to exit, something else is amiss.

Do you have a very large number of tabs open when you exit? (such as 25+
reports? This has known to cause slow or hanging re-starts for some
reports, but perhaps shutdown can be affected as well.)

Note, I'm on an older '13 Mini with BigSur, but my file is only 16.5MB,
so I can't speak file size alone.

Another variable is the M1. While allegedly non-optimized apps should at
least run as well as on Intel, perhaps some things don't translate
well—but I'm way out of my depth there—just hazarding a guess.

Regards,
Adrien