[GNC] List of securities with Get Online Quotes

Fred Tydeman tydeman.fred at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:12:07 EDT 2022

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 9:22 AM David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> To answer this question, the security editor screen can be configured to
> show both the Get Quotes toggle, as well as the price source. Resizing the
> default tiny screen bigger will show you the drop down button on the far
> right, which includes a number of fields for display.

Thank you.  That allowed me to find many currencies (that I do not care
about) with Get Quotes checked.

> For the record, it would have been nice if you had used your earlier
> message on the topic to continue this discussion.

OK.  However, I need an easy way to find out which securities I am getting
quotes for (which the above is perfect).

> That way, we could have more easily discussed the other aspects of this--
> notably, that the online retrieval of quotes can take some time, and that
> there are a number of ways that the process can fail.
>
> In regards to time: I've had times where this process takes an inordinate
> amount of time-- on the order of many minutes. You don't say how many
> quotes you're trying to get. Finance::Quote can be quite slow with large
> numbers of quotes. This can happen for a number of reasons, but they aren't
> always clear. I chalk it up to the wonders of internet latency. You didn't
> say how long you waited before you gave up.

There were about 60.  I had waited several minutes.

> Second, there have been times where the retrieval of quotes has been
> limited or throttled by Alphavantage. I seem to recall that they imposed
> some limit (like 5) per minute. This limitation has tripped up numerous
> users in the past. You didn't say whether you were using Alphavantage or
> not, although your original message included information that might imply
> it. The workaround I recall was to use yahoo_json instead.

Today, I removed Get Quotes from everything except for one stock.  When I
did Get Quotes, it finished in a couple of seconds.
I then added in 10 mutual funds.  Get Quotes then took one or two minutes.
And, the quotes it got from Alphavantage
were from a mixture of 5/5 (Thursday) and 5/6 (Friday).

I then changed Alphavantage to yahoo_json and Get Quotes finished in a few
seconds.  And the prices are from today 5/9 (Monday).

> Finally, if you have a bad symbol in your set, that's like the only time
> you actually will get a meaningful error from Finance::Quote. So, I'm
> guessing that your problem has to do with not allowing the process to
> complete, rather than a bad symbol.

There was one security that had a strange symbol (might have been the
CUSIP).  I changed it to the 5 letter symbol.
I was not getting any error message.