[GNC] Errors after restarting GnuCash 4.10 from terminal or bash script

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 00:50:54 EDT 2022

I have just setup getting finance quotes for Gnucash for the first time for GC
4.10 on Linux Mint 20.3. I was setting up a shell script to shutdown GnuCash,
update the finance quotes and restart GnuCash after the quotes had been written
to the datafile. The finance quote seems to work ok but when I restarted GnuCash
from the script, the following appeared in the terminal after the script exited.

$ Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnucash/gnucash_core_c.py", line 14, in
swig_import_helper
    return importlib.import_module(mname)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 657, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 556, in module_from_spec
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 1166, in create_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
ImportError: libgncmod-app-utils.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/share/gnucash/python/init.py", line 2, in <module>
    from gnucash import *
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnucash/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from gnucash.gnucash_core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnucash/gnucash_core.py", line 31, in
<module>
    import gnucash.gnucash_core_c as gnucash_core_c
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnucash/gnucash_core_c.py", line 17, in
<module>
    _gnucash_core_c = swig_import_helper()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnucash/gnucash_core_c.py", line 16, in
swig_import_helper
    return importlib.import_module('_gnucash_core_c')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_gnucash_core_c'
Found Finance::Quote version 1.51.

I get the same error with no additional info restarting GnuCash from the command
line with --debug. It seems to be more associated with the python bindings than
anything to do with getting online quotes. I do compile  with -D WITH_PYTHON+ON
when I build it. Haven't ever started GC from a script or terminal recently but
I presume this happens from the desktop launcher as well, just isn't visible.

Has anyone struck this before?