[GNC] Documentation changes needed

Phillip Duff phil.duff7 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 11:30:47 EDT 2022

HI,

Looks like I might need some help here as well as offering a rewrite for the ‘How to change documentation in GNUCash, which I find difficult, confusing and overly technical when the audience is documenters who may well not be developers.

It has taken me a whole afternoon to unravel what to do and I have rewritten much of it to completely simplify it and convert it into ’These are the steps you need to take;, type documentation. It is attached. If someone can look at it (it isn’t complete, because as below, I am stuck) and advise me if this is what they consider to be an improvement (note I have deliberately left out some stuff to keep it simple and instructive rather than explanatory).

Some examples + where I am currently stuck.

OK, Install Git, no problem.

(Needs to have added here for Mac users that if you install XTools, you already have both Git and make (which ic buried further down, too late). We should simply recommend that Xtools is installed, whether it is 4Gb is irrelevant in today’s world generally, and we should move away from command line wherever possible for documenters.

Clone it, no problem.  (Can be easily done using Tools, so I have added it).
Create the directory structures, no problem (This is then repeated on the ‘Initialising build environment page, so eliminate the repeat).

Now it gets interesting and very confusing. The page on make is pretty confusing.

You need CMake to create the directory structures inside build, but there is no mention of that this needs to be downloaded.

After this we are now positioned to change the documentation , as far as I can see, so I would continue with the documenting of this with a clear set of the instructions needed as documenters only want to know what in Git they need without wading through the Git pages to work it out.

For the Mac at least, CMake has a user interface, but for some reason the author wants to bring everything back to command line level, so the Make interface should be referenced. Not sure about Linux, so we can leave the command line in for that.

Except that when I run Cmake pointing to the src and build directories and enabling Mobi, I get errors.

Can’t find fop, you will be unable to generate pdf files.

CMake Error in guide/C/CMakeLists.txt:
The custom command generating

/Users/philduff/Documents/gnucash-build/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/C/fdl-appendix.xml

is attached to multiple targets:

C-gnucash-guide-check
C-gnucash-guide-ghelp
C-gnucash-guide-html
C-gnucash-guide-epub

but none of these is a common dependency of the other(s). This is not
allowed by the Xcode "new build system”.

Note that I set the environment to Xtools since it is installed and this seemed like a reasonable assumption.
Any help ??

Cheers Phil