[GNC] Documentation changes needed

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri May 13 13:34:50 EDT 2022

> On May 11, 2022, at 8:30 AM, Phillip Duff <phil.duff7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For the Mac at least, CMake has a user interface, but for some reason the author wants to bring everything back to command line level, so the Make interface should be referenced. Not sure about Linux, so we can leave the command line in for that.
>
> Except that when I run Cmake pointing to the src and build directories and enabling Mobi, I get errors.
>
> Can’t find fop, you will be unable to generate pdf files.
>
> CMake Error in guide/C/CMakeLists.txt:
> The custom command generating
>
> /Users/philduff/Documents/gnucash-build/share/gnome/help/gnucash-guide/C/fdl-appendix.xml
>
> is attached to multiple targets:
>
> C-gnucash-guide-check
> C-gnucash-guide-ghelp
> C-gnucash-guide-html
> C-gnucash-guide-epub
>
> but none of these is a common dependency of the other(s). This is not
> allowed by the Xcode "new build system”.
>
> Note that I set the environment to Xtools since it is installed and this seemed like a reasonable assumption.
> Any help ??

I'm not familiar with the Cmake GUI interface, but it doesn't look from what I find on the web that its able to run its build function from the GUI. The CMakeLists aren't set up in a way that's friendly for IDEs so you really are best off using the command line. After generating the build system with cmake you can use `cmake --build . --target html` but it's less typing to use `make html` or better (see next item) `ninja html`.

I suggest that you also install ninja (https://ninja-build.org/ <https://ninja-build.org/>), it's much faster than make. Just tell cmake `-G Ninja` or select Ninja in the cmak-gui to get ninja build files instead of Makefiles. There's a binary available on the website or you can install it with either package manager.

It's not necessary for documenters to build PDF, ePub, or MOBI documentation so don't worry about FOP.

Regards,
John Ralls