[GNC] Am I in business?

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 23:03:45 EDT 2022

Arthur,

You appear to be in Australia or somewhere that has a similar tax system.

Short answer - you derive income from the properties you rent out - you are
conducting a business.

If you are in Australia you will be subject to capital gains tax on all the
properties apart from your main residence - the one you live in.

You will need to maintain records for both income tax and capital gains tax
purposes. Some costs associated with the properties will be allowable deductions
for income tax purposes  and there may be costs associated with improvements
 which may be addable to the cost basis for capital gains tax purposes.

THIS IS NOT SPECIFIC ACCOUNTING ADVICE AND IS NOT NECESSARILY APPROPRIATE TO
YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES. Consult an accountant for specific advice relevant to your
circumstances. The ATO website  can provide a lot of information.

David Cousens