[GNC] unrealized gain / losses for mutual funds

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed May 18 17:47:03 EDT 2022

On 5/18/2022 10:46 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
> A couple of points here:
>
> First, the analogy of a painting's unrealized gains to those of any other asset is perfectly valid. The only difference is that there is only one "share" of the painting, while there are many shares of a stock or mutual fund. Their change in value is going to be the unrealized gain or loss. The math for gain on a single item is simple, making the example perhaps easier to comprehend, at the risk of oversimplification the questions.

There are OTHER assets (investments) where you might want to track
"unrealized/tentative" gains and in fact there are cases where you are
required to. This might depend on whether "incidental" or one of your
major activities << I had to learn the difference with regard to "forest
land" when neighboring land was being logged and we allowed the haul out
across a narrow neck connecting larger tracts of our land. To have
hauled around would have caused more environmental damage --- for ME,
the "stumpage" counted as "incidental" --- I would have had to file
differently (and be keeping nooks differently) had I been holding forest
land as an investment.

Because we lack "qualifications", seek professional guidance on WHAT to
do. We can then help with the "how to do that using gnucash". Especially
in this specific case of "art held as an investment" because you might
actually be doing this but want it treated as "incidental" depending on
which way more tax favorable.

Michael D Novack