[GNC] unrealized gain / losses for mutual funds

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:50:40 EDT 2022

Andrea

The mechanism for recording unrealized gains and losses is basically fairly
simple but the devil is as usual in the detail.

You need a sub account of your asset account and a corresponding account in
Equity which you could call a revaluation reserve or something similar. This
account can be either in Equity itself or could be an Income or Expense account
(which is included in profit and loss). Which is appropriate to use depends upon
many factors, the asset, the rules that apply to that asset class in your
jurisdiction including tax legislation etc., whether the gains or losses are or
are not taxable (generally not but as Mike points out not always). These sort of
considerations with regard to the reporting requirements will determine exactly
where in an account heirarchy this account should be positioned. This is where
you need accounting advice relevant to your jurisdiction and your personal
situation.

When the asset increases in value the asset sub account is debited and the
corresponding equity account is credited (and vice versa when a decrease in
value occurs). The sub account totals into the asset value. If you are doing
this it would also be common practice to have the purchase value of the asset
also recorded in a separate sub-account so you can track its value for capital
gains purposes in which you would also track events which could affect its cost
basis for CGT if appropriate,. The asset's current value being the total of the
sub-accounts with the asset account itself a placeholder. This will put the
changes in valuation onto the balance sheet. It will also likely affect other
reports (e.g. profit and Loss) depending on where the second account is located.

To automate this would require a process which takes place automatically
whenever the price for the asset recorded in the price database changes which
generates the appropriate debits and credits relative to the last price recorded
in the database and puts then into a transaction affecting the above accounts.
This is not a simple process as this would occur only for certain specific
assets or asset classes, and the appropriate account structures associated with
the asset and its unrealized gains would need to mapped to each asset class for
which this was to apply to. The existing data structures most likely would need
some extension to accommodate this (I haven't looked at this aspect
particularly). This likely means a lot of checking for unwanted and undesirable
effects on the existing functionality during implementation and coding changes
affecting a fair bit of the code base. I'm sure there are other issues which
this would affect I haven't the depth of knowledge about the code base to
appreciate at this point.

You could do the above manually whenever you wish to record a change in
valuation of the asset at whatever period suits your purpose.

David Cousens