[GNC] Crypto trade directly - not converting to local currency first

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon May 23 08:32:11 EDT 2022

On 5/23/2022 6:26 AM, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

> Realistically, if you are in situation where you want (and can!) treat
> cryptos as full currencies, you'll likely be better served by abusing
> another random currency in the list of known currencies and treat it as
> btc/eth.   See:

Gnucash or other applications can be used exactly this was if the
bookkeeping is for a "currency" that is not subject to exchange to other
currencies (or not supposed to be exchanged)

Are there any folks in Ithaca NY using gnucash to track the local
"currency"? << or in the other places where a "local currency" is in use
 >> For those who don;t know what I am talking about, the "Ithaca Hour"
is a work exchange currency. Nominally pegged at $10/US but there is not
supposed to be currency exchange << is there a "black market" exchange
rate? >>

If no exchange is taking place, using any of the currency symbols not
otherwise needed makes perfect sense to me and is not serious ":abuse".
The meaning of ANY symbol is convention.

Since I asked about Ithaca, how about anybody here from Yap? There are
also "ceremonial currencies" in other parts of the world. This is
"money" used only for very specific/special exchanges. It might be
possible to buy or sell for some other currency but this would be
frowned upon -- normally acquired or expended in the exchanges for which
meant. You should best think of them as "placeholders" for the special
things they are exchanged for, land, women, etc.

The "Ithaca Hour" was supposed to be exchanged for somebody's time,
treating everybody's time as of equal value. Again I have no idea what
sort of "black market' unequal exchange might be taking place. The only
place I ever visited that had a non-currency exchange going on there was
no physical currency to mark the amount of time or things owed, just
kept in people's heads << very small back of the beyond community >>
They assured me that the place wasn't as poor as it appeared "on the
books" because so much of their local economy wasn't in measured currency.

Michael D Novack