[GNC] Nifty Feature for Examining Report HTML for Customization

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 31 16:05:12 EDT 2022

Until now, if I wanted to examine the HTML behind a report, I exported,
opened it in a browser and used the built-in inspector, or just opened
it with an editor. (using an inspector lets you play with changes and
get instant feedback)

I happened to be right-clicking around a report just now, and noticed
the familiar 'Inspect Element' context-menu entry.

As GnuCash uses WebKit to render reports, it seems the WebKit inspector
comes along for free. (I thought that was built-in to the browser, not
realizing it is part of the rendering engine)

So you can inspect any report element to see what HTML tag it lives
under, as well as any applied CSS. You can then play to your heart's
content to modify the appearance to your liking. (within bounds of the
report, you can't change the underlying HTML or add classes or IDs for
targeting) And you can do it all right there without exporting the
report or leaving GnuCash!

If someone has time and wants to document this in the Wiki, please do.
If I get some free time and I don't see it yet, I'll add it later.
Adrien