[GNC] Create New Gnucash File From Old One

Joseph Hesse joe.hesse at actcx.com
Tue Nov 8 20:51:02 EST 2022

On 11/7/22 15:59, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, November 7, 2022 1:49 pm, Joseph Hesse wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is what I want to accomplish.
>>
>> 1. Create a new gnucash file with the same accounts as an old one but no
>> transactions from the old one.
>> 2. Copy the transactions from a single account from the old gnu cash
>> file to the new one.
>>
>> I can accomplish 1. by exporting the account tree from the old one to a
>> csv file and then importing the csv file to the new one.
> There is an even easier way:  File -> Export -> Export Accounts
> This will create a new data file with just the account tree, so all you
> need to do is File -> Open the "exported" file.
>
>> I tried to accomplish 2. by exporting the transactions from the desired
>> account on the old file to a csv file and then import the csv to the the
>> new file.  I can export the transactions but no amount of fiddling or
>> trying options allows me to successfully import the csv file.
> What version of GnuCash?  I *THOUGHT* that we fixed the issue where
> exported data could not be imported.
>
>> Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Joe Hesse
> -derek

Derek.

I all of a sudden am having a problem with creating a new data file with
just the account tree.
I created a new user on my linux system and copied my data file to a
folder in the new user's account and set the file permissions correctly.
I then opened the copied data file and did "File -> Export -> Export
Accounts".
When I tried to open the exported data file I got the error message "No
suitable backend was found"

I am using gnucash version 4.12 on Fedora 36 linux.

Thank you,
Joe