[GNC] Split Credit card transaction w/ two currencies

Fred Tydeman tydeman.fred at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 20:51:40 EST 2022

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 5:49 PM Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnucash at jdlh.com> wrote:

> Hello, Fred:
>
> On 2022-11-12 14:04, Fred Tydeman wrote:
> > In a credit card account, when I enter a split transaction
> > that has part of the charge be in USD and the other part
> > in COP (Colombia Pesos), I am getting bad results in the
> > COP account.  While I get a popup asking about the
> > exchange rate, the results are wrong in the COP account.
> >
> > The parts are:
> > 26.63 Liabilities:Credit Cards:visa   == total charge
> > 14.78 Expenses:meals     == mine
> > 11.85 Assets:Investments:$colombia => 50,000 COP  == theirs
> >
> > There are 4219.41 COP per 1 USD on that date.
>
> So the way I navigate this difficult UI is: enter what I think is the
> correct number in the transaction's split (maybe 11.85 USD), let the
> foreign exchange dialogue appear, in the lower part of the dialogue
> enter the other cash amount (maybe 50,000 COP), then look just above
> that at the dialogue's calculated exchange rates. If the exchange rates
> are approximately right, I got the choice of numbers right. If the
> exchange rates are wildly wrong, then I got the choice of numbers
> backwards.

I have tried it several ways now and all end up wrong.
Doing what you suggest above is what I first did (as it makes the most
sense).
In credit card account, I type a charge of 26.63 against Expense:meals.
I click on Split
I type 14.78 on the Expense:meals line and press Tab.
In the 11.85 line, I type $col and pick Assets:Investments:$colombia from
the popup.
When I press Enter, I get a popup about Transfer Funds
I click on To Amount at bottom of popup
I see to right of data entry box:  1 USD = 3809.... COP
[3809... was the latest conversion rate in the COP price database]
I type -50000 and press OK at bottom right.
That gets me wrong data in the various splits.

A different way:
In credit card account, I type a charge of 26.63 against Expense:meals.
I click on Split
I type 14.78 on the Expense:meals line and press Tab.
In the 11.85 line, I type $col and pick Assets:Investments:$colombia from
the popup.
When I press Enter, I get a popup about Transfer Funds
In the Exchange rate box, I type:  11.85/50000 and press tab
That shows me 1 USD = 4219.... COP
When I click OK, I am back in the split transaction
which now has an Imbalance-USD of 11.85 split
If I Jump to the $solombia account, it shows Receive of 11.85
(instead of the expected 50000)
If I look at the Price Database, it shows a price of 0.00 for COP.