[GNC] importing simple investment account

Ken Farley farleykj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:22:31 EST 2022

I don't know how complicated the data you are attempting to transfer is.
I can tell you that I recently had access to an old computer with
Quicken 2011. I used this to write out 10 years of .QIF files, one file
for each year, data for that year only. I had it include everything that
it would for me - accounts, all transactions, securities, etc. I seem to
remember, when I first ditched the old program for Gnucash, that I had a
bit of a hard time attempting to convert data. I eventually gave up and
just started with an empty file and manually constructed the account
structure, put in all the transactions for the last year or so, and ran
both Gnucash and Quicken concurrently until I was able to switch over
completely.

This last go at it, with the latest Gnucash (4.12) I was able to read
all those .QIF files very easily. The only data troubles I had were the
result of my carelessness all those years ago in making Quicken entries,
and maybe some oddities in how Quicken handles stock splits. Easy stuff
to fix. The only thing I never got to transfer over was the price
database from Quicken. None of the historical prices seemed to get
through. Again, probably my fault.

So, if you're not averse to updating to the latest version of Gnucash,
I'd recommend it for this type of thing. The interface was rather nice,
once I got used to it. Reading stuff in, checking it, fixing problems,
was pretty straightforward to me.