[GNC] Accounts for UK Vat need updating since the UK left the European Union

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 04:08:46 EST 2022

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 at 06:04, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

> From my limited grasp of the UK VAT system, ISTR that the boxes on the VAT
> return that used to refer to "trade with the EU" now refer to "Trade with
> Northern Ireland"
>
> Maybe the accounting structures should remain, but reflect the "current"
> NI
> protocol.... I really don't know what that is "on the ground", it is a
> long
> time since I had a NI customer!
>
> Maf.

No. Northern Ireland is part of the UK so VAT would be charged no
differently as if selling to England, Scotland or Wales.

There are some complications with checks on goods being transported through
Northern Ireland, but it doesn’t change the VAT situation. No VAT
distinction needs to be made for Northern Ireland.

Southern Ireland is not part of the UK, and would be treated the same way
as anywhere else outside the UK.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom