[GNC] Automatic Price Updates

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 10:26:50 EST 2022

> I have noticed that when I have GC open interactively, I can start an
> update in the price database window and let it run in the background
> while I continue to work in the registers.

Just an alert.

When we say that while gnucash is safe for multiple sequential users but
not for multiple simultaneous users this is not to be saying that "user"
implies a human user. In the general case, a user could be a process.
Look at what you are doing in those terms.

Are you SURE that it is absolutely impossible that you would be doing
anything while working in a register that would involve one of those
prices that are being updated? Ignore that might be very low
probability, never means never, because an error resulting from a
"concurrent processing error" is not something the support team will be
in a position to debug for you*.

Michael D Novack

* Exceedingly difficult to reproduce as timing critical. In other words,
bugs of this sort are to be avoided rather than fixed. Do no concurrent
processing unless the application is running under the control of a DBM
(database manager)