[GNC] How can I enter all fixed assets?

Christian Lynbech christian at defun.dk
Wed Nov 30 02:17:04 EST 2022

Having been contemplating this as well, I came to the conclusion that I
would create an account for each expensive piece of equipment and then
a common account for all the small stuff.

In Denmark, you can write off a maximum relative amount of a purchase
each year, unless (or until) the value falls beneath a certain
threshold. For a big investment, I would want to track its depreciation,
both for myself and for tax purposes and I think a separate account for
each would be valuable (or one would need to do it in an external tool
as suggested).

As other wrote, it depends on the tax rules and what it is you want to
track. If for instance the existing equipment has all been written off
(so no tax effects) and the value is too small to affect the sum total
of your business (the balance), you could just leave the equipment out
of GNUcash.

You can always add the old equipment (or any new purchase) at the point
where it starts to matter. If for instance you would like to sell some
of it at some point, it could make sense to have it as a registered
asset, so the income does not spring up out of the blue.

                               /Christian