[GNC] Crash when importing OFX file from Bank of America

William Starrs wjstarrsiii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 11:26:40 EDT 2022

Hello all,

I have been downloading and importing OFX (QFX) files from BofA nightly for
many years.  Starting a few days ago, it crashes when attempting.  This is
for a checking account.

I do the same for Chase and Amex Credit Cards without issue.  Here is what
I see in the terminal:

---------------------------------

 1 ./gnucash_error.txt+ 
                       Bufs
(Above message occurred on Line 2, Column 1)
LibOFX INFO: Created OfxDummyContainer to hold unsupported aggregate SONRS
(Above message occurred on Line 3, Column 1)
LibOFX INFO: Created OfxDummyContainer to hold unsupported aggregate FI
(Above message occurred on Line 11, Column 1)
LibOFX INFO: Created OfxDummyContainer to hold unsupported aggregate
BANKMSGSRSV1
(Above message occurred on Line 17, Column 1)
LibOFX INFO: Created OfxDummyContainer to hold unsupported aggregate
STMTTRNRS
(Above message occurred on Line 18, Column 1)
free(): double free detected in tcache 2

[1]  + 1959188 IOT instruction (core dumped)  gnucash

-----------------------------------

Here is the header of the OFX file that I download:

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:NONE

I tried running ofxdump (command line tool from libofx) against the
downloaded file and it gave those same INFO warnings but did not crash, and
successfully parsed out the account info, statement info, and transactions.

The only error that appeared in the GNUcash trace that was not in the
ofxdump was the last line:

free(): double free detected in tcache 2

I have no clue what that pertains to.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill