[GNC] Orphan-<currency> and Imbalance-<currency> splits created on stock transaction when closing & reopening GnuCash data file

Chris Grinton cgrinton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:08:36 EDT 2022

Hi GnuCashers,

I have a strange situation where a transaction is automagically (and
unexpectedly) getting splits added to it against the "Orphan-<currency>"
and "Imbalance-<currency>" accounts when my GnuCash data file is closed and
reopened. I can't work out why these splits are getting added, and would
love any insights that people might have on how to stop it from happening.

The unexpected behavior here appears to be somehow related to having
trading accounts enabled, and a consequence of changing the namespace of a
security.

Here are steps I do to reproduce this problem:

1. Create a transaction as follows:
        Expenses:Realised capital losses     DR 5000
        Assets:Stock account                                         CR
5000 (with shares & price = 0)

This appears in GnuCash as per the following screenshot:

[image: image.png]

No change occurs to this transaction as long as I keep the GnuCash file
open.

2. Edit the UNLISTED:ACME security, and change its namespace. For example,
change the namespace from "UNLISTED" to "UNLISTED2".

3. Open a different GnuCash file (or close GnuCash), and then open the
original file again. The act of opening the file appears to cause the
transaction to be updated with additional splits to read as follows:

        Expenses:Realised capital losses     DR 5000
*        Orphan-AUD                                      DR 5000*
        Assets:Stock account                                         CR
5000 (with shares & price = 0)
*        Imbalance-AUD                                                  CR
5000*

Here's a screenshot showing this:
[image: image.png]

4. If I delete the Orphan & Imbalance splits, they continue to reappear
every time I reopen the GnuCash file.

I have not seen this behavior occurring for securities that have not had a
namespace change, but is reliably reproducible for securities that have had
a namespace change.

I'm using GnuCash 4.8 on Windows with a SQLite data file.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris