[GNC] Orphan-<currency> and Imbalance-<currency> splits created on stock transaction when closing & reopening GnuCash data file

Chris Grinton cgrinton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 21:33:29 EDT 2022

Good spotting on the share balance difference! I hadn't intended that in
the screenshots; it was just a side effect of me playing around trying to
get it to work between the first and 2nd screenshot - I had added some
other transactions for testing that did adjust the share balance.

Selecting "Edit Exchange Rate" on the CapitalLosses:CurrentYear:Realized
split in the CapitalLosses:CurrentYear:Realized account register shows an
error: "The two currencies involved equal each other".

I can reproduce the problem by creating a brand new (empty) GnuCash file
and then following the steps I described, and using only a single currency
in that file. So I don't think a multi-currency factor is at play here.

If it helps and I've inspired anybody to dig deeper, I've shared a .gnucash
file at https://app.box.com/s/xdrru5yr8gjm3r7ovatmsn92jcvme053 that can be
used to reproduce: simply create a new buy or sell transaction involving
the ACME security in the Assets:ACME Corp account, and new Orphan &
Imbalance splits will be created in your transaction the next time the file
is opened.

Chris