[GNC] Gnucash invoicing and payment - questions on process

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Oct 7 03:18:42 EDT 2022

Op donderdag 6 oktober 2022 23:57:45 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> On 10/6/22 1:59 PM, Charles Vincent wrote:
> > Hello Gnucash users list members,
> > I come back on the issue of invoicing clients and payment by the clients
> > or
> > a third party.
> >
> > As background:
> > For info, I am keeping the accounts for a small not for profit school in
> > Cambodia.
> > I have done the 70 invoices, one for each child, using a standard
> > accounting layout: R1 income school fees, R2 income registration, R3
> > income
> > extracurricular, etc etc..
> > So far so good.
> > I post the invoices, still good.
> > The invoices show up in  an accounts receivable STUDENT INVOICES as I
> > believe they should. If so, so far so very good.
>
> Just to be clear - GnuCash can have *only 1* account of 'type' Accounts
> Receivable (same for Payables) and that is the account used by the
> Business Features. (invoicing, payments, customers, vendors, etc.)

That's not a GnuCash restriction. You can have multiple. If you create multiple however, that
complicates processing and some report are limited to displaying only one account at the
time. A potential use case is to have one AR account per currency in which you write invoices.
Though I believe it to be better to keep your AR account(s) in your book's currency generally.

> I don't know if you can rename that account.

You can rename it. Only trading accounts are picky about their names (or did we fix that
already?)

Regards,

Geert