[GNC] Ubuntu: Documentation not working

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Oct 8 04:38:11 EDT 2022

Op zaterdag 8 oktober 2022 09:33:05 CEST schreef R Losey:
> When I installed GnuCash in Ubuntu, it seemed to install everything -- the
> price quote program as well as the documentation... however, when I run
> GnuCash, it won't find the documentation and speculates that it is not
> installed (but it is). I can take my browser to
> /usr/share/docs/gnucash-docs/gnucash-guide-en/index.html, and everything
> looks fine.
>
> Is there some environment variable I need to set? It would be nice to have
> the "Help" buttons actually work.

Ubuntu ships our documentation in the wrong format and in the wrong location.

GnuCash expects to find the documentation in docbook format and located in
/usr/share/help.

What you have found in /usr/share/docs is the html formatted version of our
documentation. That's only meant for general consumption via a browser, not via gnucash
(on linux). It was never even intended to be distributed via linux distributions, though
distributions are free to do so. It's just not the format gnucash itself expects to present to
you.

This is a bug that was already in the upstream Debian distribution.

Meanwhile is has been fixed there. I'm not sure what's needed to get the fix in Ubuntu.
Probably a bug report in the Ubuntu bug tracker ?

Regards,

Geert