[GNC] Price update not working

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Mon Oct 10 13:10:53 EDT 2022

On 10/10/22 Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:50:07 -0400, john <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> The alphavantage module in Finance::Quote throttles the requests to
> comply with AlphaVantage's limit. Most stocks and funds supported by
> AlphaVantage are also available from yahoo_json, but currency
> exchange rates are not. For non-US exchanges the symbols might be
> different so check on finance.yahoo.com <http://finance.yahoo.com/>
> when switching sources. Yahoo_json isn't throttled.

I am looking at creating a Currency module using Yahoo. The data is
available, just need to create the symbol Yahoo uses. For example, to
get how many Euros per dollar the symbol is USDEUR=X. Should be trivial
to create and retrieve data, then supply back to GnuCash as expected.

While researching that, I am also looking at getting data from
https://currencyfreaks.com/. This would necessitate users getting
another API key. Shortfall is their free API is limited to 1000 per month.

There's a couple more in my mind, one was limited to 250 per month. If
anyone comes across a currency API source that looks promising, post to
the "Additional Currency Source" discussion at the Github F::Q
repository -
https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/discussions/239. Thanks!

> Note that most of the other sources rely on screen-scraping and are
> therefore a bit brittle in the face of layout changes to the source's
> websites.

Correct, the last year has seen quite a few changes in websites that
affected modules. As a matter of fact, just as I was preparing to push
F::Q v1.53 to CPAN a user reported that the AEX.pm module is now not
working.

Some time ago, Vincent L was making changes to TPS.pm to account for a
recent change of URL. It changed again not too long after he merged his
original fixes/changes!

- Bruce S.