[GNC] Creating/Modifying a Budget Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Oct 10 13:52:08 EDT 2022

While you *could* learn Scheme or Guile and craft our own version, these
are presentational details, and can more easily be handled by other means.

#1 - Options > General

Report name - This allows you to change the report name. Note for this
report, the entire displayed name is 'Report Name:Budget Name', so while
you can't customize the entire name, you can influence how it reads,
somewhat, by editing this field and getting crafty with the name of your
budget. (not ideal, I know)

Stylesheet - use the CSS (experimental) setting here, this will allow
you to adjust things like padding between cells/columns, fonts, colors,
table borders, etc. You'll need to learn and play with CSS, but this is
much, much simpler for mere mortals than Scheme. There are people on
this list (myself included) who 'speak' CSS and can assist if you get stuck.

#2 - Export to Spreadsheet

The Report is just an HTML table, and you can save it or export it and
then open in a spreadsheet app. (or even copy/paste)

 From there, in addition to presentational effects, you can add in other
calculations. (e.g., percentages)

#3 - Scripting/Automating/Macros

If you want to get fancy, and tire of repeatedly customizing, you can
learn some simple scripting or macros (if using a spreadsheet) to handle
the remaining adjustments. This can be done on the exported/saved report
and then displayed in a browser or spreadsheet for printing if desired.
(all reports in GnuCash are HTML based by the way)

-----

As for YTD, the report can do that and it seems you've got the Totals
columns turned on already.

Play with that and the Budget Range on the General tab to fine tune this
to your liking.

Also note, the Budget setup is what defines the periods, not the report
options. So if you're not seeing what you expect, check your setup.

-----

Finally, if something is missing, or seems like it should be an option
for the report within GnuCash, then file a Request For Enhancement (RFE)
at bugs.gnucash.org

Options from other reports that are missing from the Budget report would
be good candidates for, possibly easy, inclusion as they won't require
as much work as something brand new.

Regards,
Adrien