[GNC] transaction images and failed hard drives

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 02:24:00 EDT 2022

I know that this question has been asked many times but I am asking
again. I just had 2 hard drive failures back to back, both of which just
happened to have images attached to GNC transactions.  Bad luck on my
part, they also happened to be my backup drives. Murphy is after all the
patron saint of all physicists.  Everything that can go wrong will go
wrong.  I am currently adding 2 more backup drives plus a third working
drive (all 6 TB, right now, I expect all of them to be filled with my
next project in the next 2 weeks, although 6 gigs will be devoted
specifically to GNC).

Is there any way, even the slightest, to attach a transaction image to a
daemon instead of a specific file? That way I could use a database
system in the background to hold images instead of the file system.
That way images would still be available to GNC and searchable for me
(never know when a rebate might show up {grin}).

Platter failures are a lot less expensive to recover than circuit boards
(i need battery backup here but right now I cannot afford a large enough
system with voltage spike protection) and my electric company is well
known for feeding large voltage spikes here since I have the best
grounding system for miles and I am the last drop on their power line.
60 volts on the neutral is a common experience.  It's a wonder that I
still have at least one computer that works.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.