[GNC] rounding of Invoice vs Accounts Receivable

Etienne gnucash at boeziek.nl
Tue Oct 18 09:34:34 EDT 2022

In the Bill I enter the amount 109.95, and then select the columns Taxed, Taxes Included and the Tax Table entry. It then calculates both values 18.33 and 91.63, which add up to 109.96 but the total I entered in the first amount column remains at 109.95.

Only when I Post the Bill, I see a 109.96 entry in A/Payable. So the Bill copies the sum of the 2 calculated values to the A/P and not my total entered.

I think for the time being that manual entry in the ledger correcting the 1ct will have to do. Hopefully GNC will have some option down the line for this.

VAT is charged at every stage of the “production process” until the end-consumer. So a lot of reverse tax charges and collected taxes on purchases to offset the VAT on the sale to the end-consumer.
That is why I use tables too, else I need to calculate taxes manually on every bill (as not every bill show taxes, just a “reverse tax charge” text only).
VAT in Europe depends on the country and varies between 19% and 25%.

@Michael, you pay VAT on the total invoice, but both items already have the VAT included on the item line. So the rounding happens at the total level. Else you get too big rounding errors (especially supermarkets when you have 9% categories and 21% items (e.g. rounding a 9% tax on a 49ct can of tomatoes is terrible with a full basket), they have to round on subtotals per tax category.