[GNC] transaction images and failed hard drives

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 01:18:47 EDT 2022

On 10/14/22 1:33 AM, Geoff wrote:
> I doubt if this has change since last you asked, these are your choices:
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#SQL_Database
>
> SQLite claims to be very reliable:
> https://www.sqlite.org/hirely.html
>
> An easy solution to dodgy power is a cheap laptop - put a battery
> between yourself and the grid.
>
> Good luck
>
> Geoff
> =====
>
> On 14/10/2022 5:24 pm, Jeff wrote:
>> I know that this question has been asked many times but I am asking
>> again. I just had 2 hard drive failures back to back, both of which
>> just happened to have images attached to GNC transactions.  Bad luck
>> on my part, they also happened to be my backup drives. Murphy is
>> after all the patron saint of all physicists.  Everything that can go
>> wrong will go wrong.  I am currently adding 2 more backup drives plus
>> a third working drive (all 6 TB, right now, I expect all of them to
>> be filled with my next project in the next 2 weeks, although 6 gigs
>> will be devoted specifically to GNC).
>>
>> Is there any way, even the slightest, to attach a transaction image
>> to a daemon instead of a specific file? That way I could use a
>> database system in the background to hold images instead of the file
>> system. That way images would still be available to GNC and
>> searchable for me (never know when a rebate might show up {grin}).
>>
>> Platter failures are a lot less expensive to recover than circuit
>> boards (i need battery backup here but right now I cannot afford a
>> large enough system with voltage spike protection) and my electric
>> company is well known for feeding large voltage spikes here since I
>> have the best grounding system for miles and I am the last drop on
>> their power line. 60 volts on the neutral is a common experience.
>> It's a wonder that I still have at least one computer that works.

Sorry, the SQL interface does not work with my main set of books.  30+
years worth of transactions and the SQL conversion locks up.  6 years no
problem.

Dirty power or not, this system worked without a hitch on a 10kw
generator that was, pardon my language, noisier than hell, spikes, lows
were not uncommon.

Somewhere there is a glitch with GNC and the SQL backend.  And I am the
butt of that problem.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.