[GNC] Enhancement request: multi-currency accounts

Anton Tsyganenko anton-tsyganenko at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 23 05:52:29 EDT 2022

You say that having multi-currency accounts for income and expense is a
bad idea, because the amounts will be shown in your base currency at the
current exchange rate. But there are a few issues in this argument:

- First of all, when you make a profit and loss report, for example, you
have a few options of choosing an exchange rate, not only the "most
recent". I'm not sure if it can take its own exchange rate, closest to
the date it was made, for each transaction, but if not, that's just
another feature request for the developers.

- Information about the current value of transaction made in past in
other currency may not be needed sometimes. For example, if I want to
see, how much of its value the peso lost over the last years by
comparing my expenses for the same dinner a few years ago and now. If I
enter all the expenses in EUR, that is impossible. I would not say, that
that's an often task, but anyway.

- Think about people who live in Argentina and track their expenses.
Should they track them in EUR, because peso changes its value over time
a lot? The issue of money changing its value over time should rather be
solved by discounting, than tracking all the expenses in a single currency.

- Even if multi-currency accounts are added in gnucash, you still can
convert all your expenses in your base currency. Any multi-currency
accounts can be used just as a single-currency one.