[GNC] Total and Grand Total at the end of a Transaction Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Oct 26 00:17:09 EDT 2022

The Subtotal in this case is for one month. It represents the net
(credit in this case) balance *for the chosen accounts* over that
period. (you could have set subtotal by account first instead of date first)

The Grand Total is the net debit/credit over the entire report range -
*for those account*.

The other splits are not part of these calculations.

In Options > Display > Detail level, try 'One Transaction Per Line'
instead of 'One Split Per Line' and you'll see this more clearly.

I would not expect to see a zero balance in these spots unless I had
exactly the same amount of debit as credit, which is pretty odd in any
one single account, but could happen if you intentionally chose two or
more accounts that are always on opposite sides of a transaction. Such a
report wouldn't tell you much however, except documenting that the
transaction exists.

If you did this intentionally to see if all transactions balanced
between a set of accounts and didn't get a zero balance, that just means
at least one transaction involves one or more accounts you did not include.

The Transaction Report can be used for lots of things. The first
question I'd have for you is, "What question are you trying to answer by
running it?" This should guide your choice of options.

Regards,
Adrien