[GNC] invoicing

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Oct 26 22:39:00 EDT 2022

Arthur, if you aren't seeing many messages a day from
'gnucash-user at gnucash.org' then, no, you aren't subscribed to the list.
But your messages to it are getting through. If people happen to
reply-all to your posts, then you get their messages, but if they
reply-list then you don't.

To fix that, visit this link:
section under 'subscribing'. (I think you can also send a message to the
list with 'SUBSCRIBE' - no quotes, as the subject line to accomplish the
same thing, but using that link, you get to specify preferences too.)

This means you'll also see other discussions about GnuCash. (and might
learn something too!)

-----
There are use cases for partial invoices, but those are usually simply
issued 'preliminarily' and then followed up with full versions. (this
might include a case of 'invoiced items to-date')

Yes, in some form or fashion, all 'sales' should be 'invoiced' but
invoices per se are usually used where the request for funds does not
occur at the same time as exchange of services or goods, or the receipt
of payment.

So in the case of say a restaurant meal, or grocery purchase, or other
retail purchase like clothing, you get a 'receipt' rather than an
'invoice' but the two are otherwise functionally the same with respect
to evidencing a sale and the receipt of payment. (all at once in those
cases)

In the case of rent, the lease itself is *usually* sufficient as a
request for funds. (it is technically a contract - somewhat different)
Most landlords I've dealt with never issue either an invoice or
statement of account - ever. The lease was my only notice and demand for
payment. (and it even stated so as boilerplate language) In fact, it
constituted *my* promise to pay, thus there was no need to issue an
invoice or any reminder. I either paid as promised, or I had to leave.

I'd recommend you get some professional advice concerning being a
landlord and handling leases and payments, demands for payments,
delinquencies, evictions, etc. Those specifics change from location to
location legally, and this list is not the place for such advice. (or
accounting advice - we're here to help you with using GnuCash only, once
you already know 'what' to record based on your own accounting knowledge
or other professional advice.)

Once you know for sure what it is you need to do, we can help you
accomplish it using GnuCash, but we can't advise or tell you what to do.

Regards,
Adrien