[GNC] Total and Grand Total at the end of a Transaction Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Oct 28 12:21:22 EDT 2022

The term is Print 'dialog'. I attached a screenshot illustrating the
location of the export function.

Across the top is the app menu, containing sub-menus. Print is not one
of them. (Print is however a function in the File menu, which brings up
the Print dialog.)

This terminology is clearly used and the menus fully described, along
with where each function is in each menu in the Manual.

Yes, terminology matters if you are seeking assistance. Using mixed
references just wastes time while others try to figure out what you are
describing.

That aside, yes, I figured you were referring to the Print Dialog
(rather than a menu) and no, the option to Export is not there. Why
would you expect it to be? That dialog is for *printing*. (and for a
report, not the book, at that.)

While every app can do its own thing, operations like opening, saving,
duplicating, renaming, exporting and importing files are usually and
customarily located in the File menu. And indeed, that is where the
Export function is. (clearly explained in the Manual—hint, hint.)

You *can* 'print to file' on any report, but that is just storing the
report in its same form, outside of GnuCash. You'd still have to
open/import that into a spreadsheet to further play with the layout or
adding formulas. You don't need to 'print to file' in order to do this.
You can also Copy-All while viewing a report and then Paste directly
into your spreadsheet app.

Exporting creates a CSV directly, which can either then be processed by
scripts or other apps, or opened in a Spreadsheet app.

Thus you have several options for getting your data outside of GnuCash
to then present and make pretty as you wish.

Regards,
Adrien