[GNC] Total and Grand Total at the end of a Transaction Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Oct 28 13:28:14 EDT 2022

On 10/28/22 11:07 AM, Peter S. Shenkin wrote:
> I do hear what you are saying, but the current output makes it difficult to
> quickly find break points between transactions.

Play with Stylesheets. (Edit > Stylesheets, pick one, then click Edit
button and change preferences as desired)

I've edited my Default sheet to set an Alternate Table Cell Color. This
allows for reports to be 'zebra striped' so I can easily see separation
between transactions.

You can edit or re-assign a stylesheet with the report options still
open, but after applying you need to reload the report for it to take
effect. (button on toolbar)

You can also create a new stylesheet as desired, and/or use the Custom
CSS version if you know CSS. (all reports are just HTML tables, styled
with CSS)

> For my purposes they are all equal, which is why I want one transaction per
> line. So I don't care which line comes first. Because all splits are equal,
> why would it matter?

But the Transaction Report is showing you transactions *from the
perspective* of one account at a time. So the split that belongs to that
account is primary, the rest are 'other/transfer splits'.

Using the Alternate Table Cell Color and One Split Per Line makes
viewing this very easy.

> What some programs do is give a header line, undented, with date and
> description, followed by all splits, indented. I would also find that
> acceptable. Example:
>
> 2021-01-06 Patreon
>      Revenues:Dues  -$100
>      Revenues:Donations  -$71.67
>      Assets:Cash:Checking  =$4022.18

I'm attaching several screenshots.

The first, shows the Checking Register in Transaction Journal Mode. (you
can turn this on in the View menu, and set it as default in Preferences
 > Register Defaults)

This is a nice view (that I use by default) that clearly shows each
transaction separated from others, with the split information always
visible. (I also turn on View > Double Line Mode to have an extra
'notes' field)

The second shows where that option is in the View Menu.

The third shows that you can get really close to this by then running an
Account Report. Doing so from say the Checking Register, as opposed to
running it from viewing the General Journal, will get you a sensible
Running Balance.

And the fourth is what the same report looks like when I've edited the
Default stylesheet to use an Alternate Table Cell Color.

I think this is as close as you can get. It does have the limitation of
reporting on one account at a time. (so any transactions not affecting
the Checking account would have to be reported on separately)

Regards,
Adrien