[GNC] Paying invoices from the edit invoice screen

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Oct 29 22:28:22 EDT 2022

Background
Debian 11
Gnucash 4.11

Workflow
I use the business features to note income which is invoiced through
another program. I copy invoice numbers and amounts into a Gnucash
invoice so I keep track of my income through Gnucash. This money comes
frequently (which is a ‘good thing’) and sometimes I get behind in my
invoicing. Then I can be doing the invoice when I already have the
money in the bank account, and can choose to “pay invoice” from the
dropdown menu for post or unpost the invoice.

Problem
I had noticed money not arriving in Gnucash’ data for the bank account
when I pay the invoice from that dropdown menu. The customer report
showed the money had been paid, but the bank account didn’t show the
deposit. Friday night I spent some time posting, unposting, paying and
unpaying the same invoices until I opened the relevant split in
‘Accounts Receivable’ and found that the money had gone to the
Liabilities top level account. This account has no entries but I have
not marked ‘placeholder’.

Question
Why is the money in Liabilities?
The ‘Process Payments’ child window is defaulting to ‘Liabilities’ when
I have never used this. It used to default to ‘Assets > Bank Account’,
where the money has been deposited. How can I stop this occurring?

Liz