[GNC] Mutual Fund Dividend After Sale

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Sep 5 23:53:53 EDT 2022

> On Sep 5, 2022, at 4:05 PM, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>

> On 9/5/22 3:09 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> I didn't think you deleted it, but wasn't sure what was going on.
>>>
>>> I can set an account with a non-zero balance to 'hidden' and it stays that way, even with subsequent activity. I can set it to hidden with a zero balance, add another transaction to make it non-zero, and it stays hidden. I'm not sure why your account is showing up.
>>>
>>> Did you by chance set a View filter on your Accounts tab that would affect this?

>>> As it states, 'normally' a dividend transaction doesn't involve the fund/stock at all. It is a separate transaction between asset & income accounts. Though David just informed me that there may be times you might record it there, which I had not thought of.
>> In both cases you record an empty split to the stock account. That doesn't change the account's balance and therefore won't unhide it from the Accounts page.
>>
> And how do I do that?

See https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/invest-dividends1.html#invest-dividendcash.

Did you have dividend reinvestments turned on? Were you posting dividends the way that the next section, Dividends Reinvested, recommends? Was that last post-sale dividend reinvested so that you had to do a second sale?

Regards,
John Ralls