[GNC] Problems upgrading to 4.8a

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Sep 6 08:20:44 EDT 2022

Op maandag 5 september 2022 22:38:55 CEST schreef Phil Wolff via gnucash-user:
>    David ~
>
>    [1]https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#DOT_GNUCASH_DI
>    R: "When moving from GnuCash 2.6 to 3.x or above, GnuCash will
>    automatically try to migrate all data from DOT_GNUCASH_DIR to their
>    respective new locations. After mitgration, GnuCash 3.0 or above should
>    never use DOT_GNUCASH_DIR again."
>    For my Linux system, DOT_GNUCASH_DIR is $HOME/.gnucash, and my data
>    file and all associated *.log files are there. Since my previous
>    GnuCash version was 1.something, is it reasonable to assume that this
>    migration was not even attempted?

I didn't want to bring this up earlier. However $HOME/.gnucash has never been the place to
store your data files, though older versions of gnucash didn't prevent you from doing so or
even suggested that directory by default unfortunately. The DOT_GNUCASH_DIR is meant to
be used by gnucash to store internal state, not your accounting data.

Having said all that, you can probably continue to work like this though I would recommend
to move your actual data files to a more traditional location like $HOME/Documents/gnucash
(replace gnucash with anything you like - I have only added it because gnucash creates a lot
of log and backup files next to your actual data file and you may want to keep those from
cluttering your Documents directory).

Now back to your question: gnucash will also attempt to migrate state information for older
gnucash books (that information is actually not stored in the book files themselves). It will
however only attempt to do so if special directory GNC_DATA_HOME doesn't exist yet. If there
was a failure to run the migration that should have been logged in the gnucash trace file
that was generated during the first run of the newer gnucash. You can always try to
reproduce this by temporarily moving GNC_DATA_HOME out of the way, and run gnucash.

Another sidenote (though perhaps that has been the topic of another thread), we generally
don't support an upgrade from gnucash 1.something to 4.x. We do support upgrades from
1.6.x->1.8.x->2.0.x->2.2.x->2.4.x->2.6.x->3.x->4.x

If you skip all the steps in between, you may have some odd issues during upgrade, though I
think your data itself should be fine.

Regards,

Geert