[GNC] Saved Reports Location Question

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Sep 6 08:37:19 EDT 2022

Op dinsdag 6 september 2022 06:13:45 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> I'm pretty sure those locations are hard coded.

They are not :)

> It might be worth investigating the Windows equivalent of a symbolic link.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On 9/5/22 8:22 PM, butterandsalt at gmail.com wrote:
> > In the C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\etc directory, in the gnucash
> > subdirectory, where there is an "enviroment" file, I added an
> > "environment.local" file with the following content:
> >
> > GNC_DATA_HOME=c:\users\butte\dropbox\gnucash
> >
> > I then opened up gnucash, but the saved reports are still not pointing to
> > that location.

The contents of that file should be

[Variables]
GNC_DATA_HOME=c:\users\butte\dropbox\gnucash

You were probably only missing the "Variables" group header.
A few suggestions however:
1. I presume your data file is also in c:\users\butte\dropbox\gnucash ?
In that case it would be better to make a subdirectory for the gnucash meta data (it can
simply be c:\users\butte\dropbox\gnucash\data) and point GNC_DATA_HOME to that. So the
line in environment.local would become
GNC_DATA_HOME=c:\users\butte\dropbox\gnucash\data

2. Besides GNC_DATA_HOME there is also directory GNC_CONFIG_HOME. On Windows this
special variable typically points to the same location. So if you want to relocate the former,
you probably also want to relocate the latter. For that add a second line in environment.local
with the following
GNC_CONFIG_HOME=c:\users\butte\dropbox\gnucash\data

Regards,

Geert