[GNC] Change Linked Document Path

Geoff Storer go.storer.ben at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:39:11 EDT 2022

Hi Jim

I have tried the procedure outlined above 3 times without success.

Here is a record of what I did

 1: In GnuCash, select menu item "Preferences". The GnuCash Preferences

window opens.

Select tab "General" in the left column, then find heading "Linked

Files" in the right part of the Window.

DONE:

[image: 8bf6720d-e563-4d94-b18d-a422101c06af.png]

2: Click on the pull-down menu labelled "Path head for Linked Files

Relative Paths". Select "Other…" from the menu. An Open Folder dialogue

appears.

Done:

3: Select a folder which is 1. different than the currently shown folder,

and 2. different than the directory where your linked documents are

stored. For instance, a folder within your Documents folder might do

nicely. Click Open. A "Changed Linked Document path head" dialogue

appears. It has two checkboxes.

Done:

This is what I see

[image: image.png]

4: The first box is labelled, "Existing relative file path links will be

converted to absolute ones…". Be sure this box is CHECKED.

Done:

5: The second box is labelled, "Existing absolute file path links will be

converted to relative ones…". Be sure this box is Unchecked.

DONE:

AS PER SCREENSHOT BELOW

[image: image.png]

6: Click the OK button. The "Changed Linked Document path head" dialogue

disappears, and the GnuCash Preferences dialogue reappears.

Done:

Part of the e GnuCash Preferences dialogue screenshot

[image: image.png]

7: For a second time, click on the pull-down menu labelled "Path head for

Linked Files Relative Paths". Select "Other…" from the menu. An Open

Folder dialogue appears.

Done:

8: This time, select the folder which contains your linked documents. I

understand that this is, "D:\PDF\GNU Invoices". Click Open. A "Changed

Linked Document path head" dialogue appears. It has two checkboxes.

Done:

Screenshot below shows screen displayed
[image: image.png]

9: The first box is labelled, "Existing relative file path links will be

converted to absolute ones…". Be sure this box is Unchecked.

DONE AS FOLLOWS
[image: image.png]

10: The second box is labelled, "Existing absolute file path links will be

converted to relative ones…". Be sure this box is CHECKED.

DONE: As per screenshot above

11: Click the OK button. The "Changed Linked Document path head" dialogue

disappears, and the GnuCash Preferences dialogue reappears.

DONE:

Screenshot of part of GnuCash Preferences/General dialogue

[image: 3d87f146-861f-4fa5-9716-9a9c8158013e.png]

12: Click the Close button. The GnuCash Preferences dialogue disappears.

DONE:

Final outcome of GnuCash Preferences/General
[image: image.png]

I then saved and closed the data file and quit out of the program.

Restarted program and opened my temp GNU file to test the location

of attached files. Error message was displayed

[image: image.png]

So Jim I think I have followed your instructions closely but to no avail.

Thank you for contributing so much to finding a solution to my problem.

You have been more than generous with your time.

If you wish to call it quits at this point, I totally understand.

Regards

Geoff