[GNC] Problems upgrading to 4.8a

Phil Wolff adiabat at centurylink.net
Sat Sep 10 10:36:03 EDT 2022

   On 9/9/22 16:14, Geert Janssens wrote:

   Op vrijdag 9 september 2022 22:19:08 CEST schreef Phil Wolff:

   > dellbert at dellbert:~$ gsettings get
   org.gnucash.GnuCash.general.register

   > double-line-mode true

   > dellbert at dellbert:~$

   > But when I run gnucash all of my registers are single-line.

   The only explanation I can come up with is that gnucash runs in a
   different environment than gsettings.

   How do you start gnucash exactly ? From the command line or from the
   Ubuntu menus ?

   I start by clicking on a Desktop icon. If I use the .desktop file from
   the package manager installation which contains the line "Exec=gnucash
   %f," I get a window titled "Unsaved Book - GnuCash" and I have to use
   File/Open to access my data file, so instead I use a copy of the
   .desktop file with the modified line "Exec=gnucash
   /home/dellbert/Documents/gnucash/Household.db.gnucash" to open the data
   file directly.

     And to test for the most relevant environment variable wrt to
     settings, can you add create a file named "config-user.scm" in
     $HOME/.config/gnucash

     with this contents:

     (use-modules (gnucash utilities))
     (gnc:warn "XDG__DATA_DIRS=" (getenv "XDG_DATA_DIRS"))
     The next time you run gnucash this will add a line at the top of
     your gnucash.trace file showing the value of environment variable
     "XDG_DATA_DIRS".

   dellbert at dellbert:~$ cat ~/.config/gnucash/config-user.scm
   (use-modules (gnucash utilities))
   (gnc:warn "XDG__DATA_DIRS=" (getenv "XDG_DATA_DIRS"))
   dellbert at dellbert:~$ cat /tmp/gnucash.trace
   cat: /tmp/gnucash.trace: No such file or directory
   < run gnucash >
   dellbert at dellbert:~$ cat /tmp/gnucash.trace
   * 11:14:57 ERROR <GLib-GIO> g_settings_new_full: assertion 'schema !=
   NULL' failed
   * 11:14:57  WARN <gnc.app-utils.gsettings>
   [gnc_gsettings_get_settings_ptr()] Ignoring attempt to access unknown
   gsettings schema org.gnucash.GnuCash.general
   * 11:14:57 ERROR <gnc.app-utils> GVariant*
   gnc_gsettings_get_user_value(const gchar*, const gchar*): assertion
   'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings_ptr)' failed
   * 11:14:57 ERROR <GLib-GIO> g_settings_new_full: assertion 'schema !=
   NULL' failed
   * 11:14:57  WARN <gnc.app-utils.gsettings>
   [gnc_gsettings_get_settings_ptr()] Ignoring attempt to access unknown
   gsettings schema org.gnucash.general
   * 11:14:57 ERROR <gnc.app-utils> GVariant*
   gnc_gsettings_get_user_value(const gchar*, const gchar*): assertion
   'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings_ptr)' failed
   14:57  WARN <gnc.app-utils.gsettings>
   [gnc_gsettings_get_settings_ptr()] Ignoring attempt to access unknown
   gsettings schema org.gnucash.general

   *

   I've started gnucash using both .desktop files as described above, with
   identical results - the line you expected at the top of the file is not
   there.

   Is it expected that gnucash is attempting to read both
   org.gnucash.GnuCash.general and org.gnucash.general?

     I'd like to know what this is. And can you compare it to what
     XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to in your terminal ?

   At login:

   dellbert at dellbert:~$ echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS
   /usr/share/ubuntu-xorg:/usr/share/gnome:/home/dellbert/.local/share/fla
   tpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share/:/us
   r/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

     Regards,

     Geert