[GNC] Moving to a new computer

William Prescott will at theprescotts.com
Mon Sep 19 14:17:57 EDT 2022

Just a small clarification.

It depends on what you do when you boot up a new Mac for the first time. It will give you an option to clone it from a previous computer or backup. If you do that the new computer will look almost exactly like the old one, including all of the applications as well as all user data.

Will

On 2022 Sep 19, at 09-19 12:06:34, Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

On 9/17/2022 6:36 PM, Dan Varon wrote:
> I have been using Gnucash on an iMac and would like to continue using it on a new MacBook Air.  I transferred all my data from the iMac to the MacBook Air, but GnuCash will not open on the new computer.  How do I install an updated version  GnuCash on the MacBook Air and have it use all my old data?
>
> Thank you
>
> Dan

This may not be a gnucash question.

On your old computer, you both had Apple software that comes already installed on MacBook Air AND software that you installed from elsewhere. Your new MacBook Air will have just the Apple software that comes with it. If you want to continue the other apps that you were using on the old computer you will have to install them.

You said that you transferred all your DATA from the old computer to the new one. you will also have to install software.

Once you have done (installed gnucash) you can open gnucash. If it doesn't find your old data (something changed in the path) you will use file=>open to select your old data (in its new location). Gnucash will then remember that as "last used".

Michael D Novack