[GNC] Fwd.: A new start - somewhat strange

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Wed Sep 21 07:39:27 EDT 2022

My advice to you:

1. Do read the GnuCash concepts and tutorial guide, especially Chapter
12 /Multiple Currencies/
<https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_currency.html>.

= =
To enable them go to File → Properties+Accounts tab and check the Use
Trading Accounts checkbox.
DONE
= =

2. Do enable Trading Accounts, as described in 12. /Automatically
Recording Currency Transactions using Trading Accounts/
<https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/currency_trading_accts.html>.

I have always used them. (In fact, I cannot tell you what happens if you

do not use them, because I have not tried.

= =

But I have not yet found the place where I can enter my second currency
KHR - I only see the many things I will be able to do AFTER I will have
entered it.

Can you please help me trough this step?

= =

3. I second Paul Kroitor's excellent advice that you make a "test book"
for practice and experiments. Accept a default chart of accounts. Make a
few accounts in KHR currency. Enter a few test transactions. See how
things work.  Then set up your real book.

Of course I will do this.

4. I use the one currency structure for my asset accounts, and a
different currency structure for my expense accounts. See if either of
these makes sense for you.

I hope this is helpful.  Have fun with the experiments!

Best regards,

       —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

Yes it is very helpful, Thanks, Norbert