[GNC] Register sort order

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 26 14:24:05 EDT 2022

On 9/26/22 10:35 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> The "number" column is actually treated as a number!  So it is not sorted
> lexically but sorted numerically.  That means 090 will come before 0190.
>
> If you have a "number" with a non-numeric piece, it will only sort up to
> that non-numeric piece, so 1a and 1b will sort "the same", as will d1 and
> d2.
I thought that had changed a few versions back.

I use the NUM field for a time stamp to force my register order, because
more often than not, I do not enter transactions in the order they
happen, so using a time stamp on a receipt keeps them in line.

I used to use 24hr notation with a 't' appended to indicate to me that
this was a time stamp and not an actual transaction number. (which
sometimes I do have)

But a few versions ago, the sorting was changed so that alpha characters
sort lexically and then the sort continues, though I think in that case,
all subsequent characters are also sorted lexically. (and maybe even the
whole thing, I haven't tested)

So now I can enter say, "14:35" instead of "1435t" as my time stamp and
it sorts properly, without stopping at the ":".

Regards,
Adrien