[GNC] Find not working in Gnucash for Windows 5.0

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Apr 6 04:27:12 EDT 2023

Op donderdag 6 april 2023 08:07:12 CEST schreef Stan Brown:
> On 2023-04-05 07:18, Tute Terner wrote:
> > When I search in the Find dialog box using the Description field,
> > everything works. But when I search by the Memo field or the
> > 'Description, Notes or Memo' field or the Action field the Search
> > Results always turn out empty, even though the search string is present
> > in the Memo or Action fields of some transactions.  I am using Gnucash
> > 5.0 for Windows, but I have noticed this in some previous versions too.
> > Am I doing something incorrect or is this a bug. I don't see that
> > anybody has mentioned this behaviour in the mailing list or in the bug
> > list. Thank you.
>
> Probably you already know this, but ...
>
> Gnucash will only find transactions that are in the window that is on
> top when you initiate the Find.

To expand on this: the description is a transaction property, while action and memo are split
properties.

If you initiate a search from an account register on any split property, it will only search the
splits that belong to that account and not the other splits for all transactions shown.
Searching for transaction properties will always work as they are shared by all splits in the
split register.

Regards,

Geert