[GNC] Calculating IRR of an investment account

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 8 08:22:00 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-08 05:02, Graham wrote:
> I have tried the manual without much success, and tried two different
> AIs [ChatGPT and Nova] but both give me instructions that don't seem to
> exist, such as :
>
> 1. Click on the "Reports" menu and select "New Report".
> 2. In the "Report Type" dropdown, select "Transaction".
> 3. Click on the "Add Column" button to add the columns you want to
>    include in your report. For example, you could add "Date",
>    "Description", "Amount", and "Memo" columns.
> 4. Click on the "Grouping" dropdown and select "Date".
> 5. In the "Filter" section, set the date range for the period you want
>    to calculate the IRR for.
> 6. Click on the "Customize Report" button to open the report
>    customization panel.
> 7. In the "Computation" section, click on the "Add" button to add a new
>    computation to your report.
> 8. In the "Computation" dropdown, select "Internal Rate of Return (IRR)".
>
> New report I take to be a new transaction report, but I can't see any
> add column button, customize report or computation options.
>
> Am I missing something, or is AI as stupid as me? (Win 10, Gnucash 5.0)

AI lives up to its adjective, but not so well to its noun. A recent
story detailed "hallucinations" in AI -- for instance, you could ask it
for the record holder in walking across the English Channel and get an
answer that seemed authoritative, except obviously it wasn't.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com