[GNC] Locking the side bar items

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 11:43:13 EDT 2023

I finally found a need to join this discussion.  I just accidentally used
'Ctrl-W' in Firefox, closing the GMail tab instead of searching for that
string in this discussion.  Because I have closed tabs accidentally several
times in Firefox in the past, I already know that I can go to the history
page, find that tab and re-open it.  I think that Firefox also has a
shortcut to do the same thing, but I haven't tried to find and memorize it.

I want to suggest adding a similar feature to Gnucash to undo actions like
closing tabs.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 10:05 AM Stan Brown <the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> Re-sending because I sent to the individuals instead of the list. Yes it
> was my mistake, but I'm not the only one who makes that mistake, and if
> the mailing list set the reply-to header that mistake would be a lot
> harder to make. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I can't
> remember the argument against doing that.

> On 2023-04-11 20:40, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
> > Honestly, the button could be removed altogether in my opinion. The
> > close "X" on tabs is pretty standard in other apps, and has the
> > benefit of being a direct action that most users understand
> > intuitively.
> I agree wholeheartedly! While it's usually desirable to give people
> multiple ways to do things, especially mouse versus keyboard, it's _not_
> desirable when one of those ways looks like it does something different
> from what it actually does.

> On 2023-04-12 07:40, Gyle McCollam wrote:
> > You can remove the "X" on the tabs to prevent accidental closing.
> > Under Edit/Preference/Windows and the section labeled Tabs.  Just
> > click on box to remove the check on "Show close on notebook tabs".
> > Then you shouldn't be able to close accidentally.
> But the OP wasn't accidentally closing via the X on the tab, rather with
> the X at the top, which is marked Close.
>
> (I'm just clarifying. I don't support the request. If developers are to
> make a change, IMHO a much better solution is David T's suggestion:
> simply remove the "Close" at the top, since its effect of closing a tab
> is different from what a user might reasonably expect, and there are
> other ways to close a tab.)

> On 2023-04-12 07:32, G R Hewitt wrote:
> > I agree with others that the 'Close' button could be moved, or
> > better still done away with, I think it serves no useful purpose.
> > Perhaps change it to 'Quit GnuCash'
> I would not support the latter. There's already a _standard_ mouse click
> to quit GnuCash; it's the X at the top right of the window, which is
> standard for programs in Microsoft Windows. We don't need to waste
> screen real estate on a second button to do the same thing.
>
> (I would assume that the standard close button is also present in
> GnuCash in Linux and MacOS.)
>

> Stan Brown
> Tehachapi, CA, USA
> https://BrownMath.com