[GNC] Locking the side bar items

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Apr 12 12:29:49 EDT 2023

On 4/12/23 10:03 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On 2023-04-12 07:32, G R Hewitt wrote:
>> I agree with others that the 'Close' button could be moved, or
>> better still done away with, I think it serves no useful purpose.
>> Perhaps change it to 'Quit GnuCash'

> I would not support the latter. There's already a _standard_ mouse click
> to quit GnuCash; it's the X at the top right of the window, which is
> standard for programs in Microsoft Windows. We don't need to waste
> screen real estate on a second button to do the same thing.

Not only that, the toolbar button is not duplicative of the close button
on the window. Its function is *not* to close the app, but to close the
active tab.

I would support changing its label to 'Close Tab' for clarity.

Many browsers (if not all) long ago removed the 'close tab' button from
their toolbars because they had moved this function to each individual
tab. Perhaps it is time for GnuCash to do so as well? Folks will
generally expect apps that manage tabs to work in a similar fashion to
each other. If there is a good reason not to, so be it, but I can't see
the harm in removing the button entirely or making it optional like the
close buttons for the individual tabs. (or perhaps make that existing
option an either/or - either put the close button on the toolbar *or*
the individual tabs, and set the default to individual tabs.)

> (I would assume that the standard close button is also present in
> GnuCash in Linux and MacOS.)

Yes, both have standard window/app close buttons (and the same keyboard
shortcut) by default.

Regards,
Adrien