[GNC] Locking the side bar items

Paul Kroitor paul at kroitor.ca
Thu Apr 13 10:46:53 EDT 2023

That's an interesting question. When I first came to Gnucash about 10 years
ago, I was (very) used to Quicken, which keeps everything in the same
window. I still happily use Quicken for several sets of books, and I have no
problem with its single-window paradigm.

While exploring Gnucash's options, I found Gnucash's "hybrid" mode
(registers in separate windows, everything else in a single main window) and
found it greatly pleasing. But I don't remember exactly why. It may be
because I can enter complex splits while having the CoA (or Income
Statement) displayed in an adjacent window, or because I like my "permanent"
tabs (various reports, mostly) available on the tab bar uncluttered by
transient register tabs coming and going.

I'm intrigued enough by the question that I've set it back to single-window
mode to see what bugs me. I'll let you know what I find.

Paul