[GNC] Configurable Year Start Day/Month

Vincent Dawans dawansv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 01:20:43 EDT 2023

My comment was related to custom report creation from an
end-user perspective, which is to say using the given set of options. So
yes the move to c++ makes changing the supporting utility code on the fly
more difficult if that's something required (as in this case). That is a
limitation of going from an interpreted to a compiled language but I don't
think in itself it's a reason not to do it if other considerations like
code maintainability are to be considered.

For that specific issue there is no question the current implementation for
the financial/fiscal year doesn't make total sense (whether written in
scheme or C++ is irrelevant). It seems that John Ralls mentions the
problems with it in the discussion from 2021 you link that and hints that
it might be changed in version 5. I don't see a change as of 5.0 yet
(unless I am missing something) so I can only assume it's still in the
works or more help is needed to implement that fix. As much as it was
possible to hack a fix in version 4 I think it is worthwhile to focus on a
more permanent fix in version 5.

John Ralls says "GnuCash uses the term Accounting Period for non-calendar
fiscal years. There are two problems with this: First, it's in Preferences
instead of File properties so a user can't have different books with
different fiscal years and two users of the same book have to set their
preferences to the same Accounting Period. Second and maybe worse it sets
specific dates that don't roll over."

Hopefully we can join our efforts to help fix this feature so that hacking
code is no longer needed.

Sincerely,

Vincent Dawans