[GNC] CSV import crash in 5.0+

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:10:41 EDT 2023

Also speaking as a pro, this topic of error checking causes quite a lot of
debate at work.

We all agree that input from users (and other untrusted sources) should be
fully error-checked (and, for this case of CSV import data, I agree it
should be considered untrusted).

But when there is an agreed-upon machine interface from A to B, if A
violates the interface and crashes B, that is A's problem [this is my
position, and many support it; however, the other position is that B should
not crash and should always do sufficient checking so that it does not
crash]. Likewise, calls to system services are considered trustworthy, so
the results are not error-checked... (the status may be checked for a
problem, but the data is generally considered safe; for example, I don't
know of anyone who error-checks the call to get the current time.)